Sunday, March 14, 2010

Original Art Sundays # 33: Man of the Land

I think it's time to take a realistic tack on this.
Rather than plan on posting specific material every week, I plan on posting art every week, and will post new pages in A Private Myth when they are completed.
Needless to say, this is a response to my not having the new page done yet this week- again.
However, I do have a fascinating new piece to post.
A while back,  I was playing with the colored pencils and spontaneously came up with this.

For a change, the scan captures most of the nuance of the piece.
I used to be troubled by the force lines coming off his sleeve. Then I realized that he wasn't giving energy to the Earth, the Earth was constructing him out of Her energy.
I avoid conventional fantasy art, because it's been done to death and because there are pros out there who can do the material splendidly despite The Cliche' Factor. I'm thinking of folks like Colleen Doran  (see side links) and the indomitable Patrick Woodroffe and Dave McKean, frequent collaborator with Neil Gaiman.
New page next week if all goes well- I'm very inspired by this one and want to give the work the time it needs, within reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment